Marina di Ragusa / Siracusa / Modica / Avola
The historical origins of the Province of Ragusa are part of those of the entire island of Sicily, in the legends, in the first traces of people, in the various cultures that have occurred over the centuries, all leaving a sign, which are still evident in the architecture and in the city and territory art. Ragusa has ancient origins, the hill of Ibla was in fact inhabited by the Sicilians since the XIV century. A. C.. Of these ancient inhabitants we have significant traces in the cemeteries around Ragusa. A group of oven graves, small caves dug into the rocks, can be seen along the road that from Ibla rises to Ragusa just below the church of S. Maria delle Scale, another group of Sicilian tombs is located near the confluence of S. Leonardo stream with the Irminio and can be seen even looking out of the Ibleo Garden wide valley. A sixth century. A. C. Greek necropolis of the hill Rite shows the presence of a group of Camarina Greeks in that place where they undertook commercial relations with the Hybla Sicilian while respecting their autonomy. Independence was definitely lost instead with the Roman conquest in the third century. A.C. In 330 A.D. Sicily fell under Byzantine domination that will last about five centuries. The Byzantines thought to fortify Ragusa and built a castle. An important catacomb known as Trabacche, can be visited in this period in the district Centopozzi. In 848 Ragusa was conquered by the Arabs who introduced, as in the whole island of Sicily, new and important crops. In 1081 the Normans began the conquest of Sicily and in 1091 also Ragusa was conquered. In 1266 Sicily was conquered by the Angevins that a few years after were banished with the revolt of the Vespri (1282). When the Aragonese came in Sicily the feudal system was restored and Ragusa was assigned as a county in Chiaramonte, whose headquarters was transferred in Modica under the Cabrera (1448) due to a revolt against the feudal lords that took place in Ragusa. In 1693 a terrible earthquake destroyed Ragusa (5000 deaths) together with the whole south-eastern Sicily (60,000 victims in total). The reconstruction of Ragusa begins immediately and while the nobles (Sangiorgiari) prefer to rebuild on the same site as before, farmers and bourgeoisie (Sangiovannari) went to build on the nearby hill of Patro.
City by the sea, which extends into the sea with the island of Ortigia, Siracura lies along a harmonious bay. The name immediately conjures up the greek past, the tyrants and the rivalry between Athens and Carthage; the city preserves many proofs of this past, this is accompanied by a less known period but no less impressive, which lives along the streets of the island, where time seems to stand still in the balance between the Middle Ages and the Baroque. Immediately behind Ortigia there is the Acradina, as it was called in ancient times the flat area adjacent to Ortigia. And then Neau polis, a "new" area where there is the theater, the Ear of Dionysius and the Paradise latomia, one of the most beautiful, and, to the east, the district of Tyche which recalls the presence of a temple dedicated to the goddess of Fortuna (from the greek Tyche, the case). The city dominates Epipoli, and it is protected by the Castle of Eurialo, in an elevated and strategic position.
- Holiday Homes
- Agriturismo e Bed & Breakfast
- Excursions and Transfers